Associates of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries are authorized to append to their names the initials ACIA (Associate, Canadian Institute of Actuaries) or AICA (associé, Institut canadien des actuaires).
Associates will also gain voting rights five full years after they obtain Associate status in the Institute.
Enrolment as an Associate of the Institute requires that the individual:
* See the University Accreditation Program for important details.
** Or the equivalent education/exams through another recognized actuarial association.
- Successfully complete or have credit for exams P/1, FM/2, MFE/3F, MLC/3L (or ST and LC), and C/4*;
- Have credit for Validation by Education Experience (VEE) for Economics, Finance, and Statistics subjects from the Society of Actuaries or of the Casualty Actuarial Society**;
- Successfully complete the SOA Fundamentals of Actuarial Practice e-learning course** or CAS Online Courses 1 and 2**;
- Successfully complete CAS Exams 5 and 6–Canada (property and casualty candidates only)**; and
- Successfully complete the CIA Professionalism Workshop or approved CAS Course on Professionalism when it is offered in Canada.
Please note SOA recognized tracks
Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track
Quantitative Finance and Investment (QFI) Track
Individual Life and Annuities Track
Retirement Benefits Track
Group and Health Track
The CIA does not currently recognize the SOA General Insurance Track.